Chinese Chicken & Sweetcorn soup, also known as Egg Drop Soup is very popular in most Chinese restaurants but is also so quick and easy to make at home. This dish is easily prepared in less than 15 minutes. It is very versatile so you can change it up to your preference by doing just the bare basic egg drop soup, adding chicken, pork or meat of choice, adding other vegetables along with the corn, such as bak Choy, Chinese broccoli, regular broccoli or carrots. I also like to add vermicelli noodles to mine as it goes well and adds body to my soup. Whatever you do decide to add, remember not to add too much as you don’t want to take away from the base broth of the soup.
I also make a hot pepper sauce to add to the soup using scotch bonnet pepper, a little oil, scallions, and dark soy sauce which takes the flavours of this soup to another level. However, if you don’t like spice, the sauce can still be made without pepper. This is a popular sauce in our Chinese restaurants in Jamaica.
Ingredients for Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
- Chicken – Can be minced or chicken pieces. I used minced chicken in this recipe, I also sometimes use minced pork. Shrimp or crabmeat are also good alternative options.
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic – grated
- Ginger – grated
- Eggs – beaten before adding to the soup
- Sweet corn – Some people use creamed corn or you can use a mix of the two, but this recipe I only used sweet corn.
- Vermicelli Noodles – optional, but a nice addition
- Cornstarch – to thicken
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper – cut up
- Scallion – cut fine
- Dark or Mushroom Soy Sauce
How to Prepare Chinese Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
*This post may have affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
- Set out all your ingredients for a smoother process while cooking.
- You may either pre-cook your chicken or meat of choice in a non-stick skillet especially if using minced meat to make sure you can get it as crumbly as possible. A second option is boiling out your meat in the broth which would take a little longer.
- You would start with your broth in a large, deep pot and add the garlic and ginger.
- Once boiling, slowly pour your beaten eggs in while stirring.
- Add your corn, pre-cooked chicken, then vermicelli and any vegetables if using.
- Add diluted cornstarch to thicken to desired consistency.
- Make your sauce in a small ramekin or bowl by placing some of the cut scallions, scotch bonnet, heat up the oil in a small pot. Pour hot oil on the pepper and scallions. Add soy sauce.
This is a light, healthy and oh so tasteful soup! Very popular amongst the Chinese community and anyone else who has had it. Hope you will give it a try!
Chinese Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
- 1 lb. Minced Chicken or chicken pieces May substitute with meat of choice
- 10 cups Chicken Broth
- 10 cloves Garlic grated
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Ginger grated
- 15 oz. can Whole Kernel Corn along with other vegetable of choice if desired
- 3 Eggs beaten
- optional Vermicelli Noodles
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch or more to thicken
- 2 stalks Scallion cut fine (divided) save some for garnishing
- 1/2 - 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper cut fine
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Dark or Mushroom Soy Sauce
Pre-cook chicken in a non-stick skillet using a little oil. If using mince, try and crush to crumble as you cook.
Place chicken broth in a deep pot, add garlic and ginger. bring to a boil and slowly pour in beaten eggs while stirring.
Add corn and vermicelli noodles along with other vegetables if using.
Dilute cornstarch, add while stirring until slightly thickens. Add chicken.
To make the sauce, add some of the scallion and the pepper to a small ramekin or bowl. Heat up the oil in a small pot. Pour the hot oil on the scallion and pepper, then add the soy sauce.
When serving, garnish with scallion and add just a little bit of the sauce at a time until desired taste.