Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
Porridge on a whole is a traditional and popular breakfast dish to the Jamaican culture. It is easy to make, inexpensive and considered a nice hot and nutritious meal to start off your day for both kids and adults. Cornmeal porridge ranks high as one of our most popular porridges. It is creamy, flavorful with spices and slightly sweet. Some people like their porridges very sweet, but personally, I like mine just barely sweetened.
Amongst the above benefits, I will say that another great plus is how quick and easy this porridge is to make.
Ingredients for Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Milk – Preferably coconut milk, however, regular milk or a combination of the 2 may be used or substituted with milk of choice. Some people also prefer to use part water in place of the milk.
- Water – Half to add to the milk and halfto dilute the cornmeal
- Nutmeg – grated (freshly grated whole nutmeg is best).
- Cinnamon – ground
- Condensed Milk – to sweeten is preferred, but sugar may be used instead.
Easy Preparation of Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
* This post may have affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
- Measure out all your ingredients and set aside.
- Pour milk of choice in a medium deep pot on medium heat with half a cup of water. Add salt and wait until it starts to get hot.
- Dilute cornmeal and other half cup of water in a small bowl or ramekin.
- When milk is hot, add cornmeal mixture and stir continuously until starting to thicken (about 5 minutes). Turn your heat down to low at this stage.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and condensed milk or sweetener of choice.
I personally don’t like my porridge thick, but more on the thinner side, so adjust according to your preference. It is also best served immediately as it will thicken more as it cools. If needs to be re-heated, more liquid may be added to thin out.
Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- 2-1/2 cups Coconut Milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup Water to add to the milk
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Water to dilute cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg grated
- 1/4 cup Condensed Milk or sweetener of choice
Measure out all ingredients and set aside.
Using a medium deep pot on medium heat, place milk, 1/2 cup of water and salt. Stir and wait until hot but not boiling.
Dilute cornmeal with 1/2 cup water. When milk is hot, add cornmeal mixture and keep stirring until starts to thicken (about 5 minutes). Turn heat to low.
Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and condensed milk. Stir, adjust to desired consistency.
*Best served immediately as it will continue to thicken as it cools.
*If needs to be re-heated, more liquid may be added.