What Is Eggnog?
Eggnog is a rich, sweetened dairy based beverage made with eggs, milk, cream, sugar and other spices traditionally consumed starting from around November and throughout the Christmas season in many countries including America, Canada, European countries, and others including the islands.
*This post may have affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here.
In America, and other countries where eggnog is widely available in most supermarkets, many people just purchase there. In other countries and islands where it is not as readily available, most people who care for it make their own homemade version. It is also made in different variations from place to place. It is usually served chilled, however, some people drink it warm. It can also be consumed with or without rum, which tastes great either way.
Since I grew up in America loving eggnog and then migrated to Jamaica where it was not sold, I set out to make my own homemade version and found it was so much better than what I was even used to. In my home, it is loved by all. We drink it plain, adults drink it with rum at times and I also love a little in my coffee.
Ingredients to Make Amazing Eggnog
- Egg Yolks
- Whole Milk – or may substitute with low fat milk or milk of choice such as almond milk. I have tried low fat milk and 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk which there was not a significant difference in taste.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
Preparation Process for Amazing Eggnog
1. Seperate your egg yolks and measure out your other ingredients.
2. Place 4 cups of the milk in a large pot with the milk and cinnamon on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until at a low boil, stirring with a whisk. Strain milk into a bowl using a strainer to remove cloves.
3. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar and whisk rapidly until fluffy.
4. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk while stirring constantly with the whisk on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until starts to slightly thicken.(Do not allow to boil). Remove from heat.
5. Add the heavy cream, remaining milk, vanilla, and nutmeg.
6. Pour into glass bottles or a container and chill overnight before serving.
- 12 Egg Yolks
- 1-1/2 cup White Sugar
- 6-1/2 cups Whole Milk divided (or may substitute)
- 4 cups Whipping Cream
- 6 whole Cloves
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon ground
- 2 tsp. Nutmeg grated
- 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Seperate egg yolks and measure out all other ingredients.
Combine 4 cups of milk, cloves, and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Place on medium-low heat while stirring with a whisk for about 5 minutes or until comes to a slow boil.
Using a large bowl and a strainer, pour milk into the bowl through the strainer to remove the cloves. Place milk back into the pot.
Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk rapidly until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
Slowly pour egg mixture into hot milk while constantly stirring with whisk. Place heat on medium and stir while cooking for about 3 minutes or until milk starts to slightly thicken. (Do not allow to boil). Remove from heat.
Add cream, 2-1/2 cups more milk, nutmeg and vanilla. Stir well to. combine.
Pour into glass bottles or a storage container and refrigerate until cold before serving.
** As an adult drink, rum may be added as desired.
In Jamaica, we usually use white overproof rum, but any is fine.